Any State may apply to the Fund for approval to be a participating State under the Program and to be eligible for reimbursement by the Fund pursuant to section 4747 of this title.
(b) Approval criteria
The Fund shall approve a State to be a participating State, if—
(1) a specific department or agency of the State has been designated to implement the Program;
(2) all legal actions necessary to enable such designated department or agency to implement the Program have been accomplished;
(3) funds in the amount of at least $1 for every 2 people residing in the State (as of the last decennial census for which data have been released) are available and have been legally committed to contributions by the State to reserve funds, with such funds being available without time limit and without requiring additional legal action, except that such requirements shall not be construed to limit the authority of the State to take action at a later time that results in the termination of its obligation to enroll loans and make contributions to reserve funds;
(4) the State has prescribed a form of participation agreement to be entered into between it and each participating financial institution that is consistent with the requirements and purposes of this subchapter; and
(5) the State and the Fund have executed a reimbursement agreement that conforms to the requirements of this subchapter.
(c) Existing State programs (1) In general
A State that is not a participating State, but that has its own capital access program providing portfolio insurance for business loans (based on a separate loss reserve fund for each financial institution), may apply at any time to the Fund to be approved to be a participating State. The Fund shall approve such State to be a participating State, and to be eligible for reimbursements by the Fund pursuant to section 4747 of this title, if the State—
(A) satisfies the requirements of subsections (a) and (b); and
(B) certifies that each affected financial institution has satisfied the requirements of section 4744 of this title.
(2) Applicable terms of participation (A) Status of institutions
If a State is approved for participation under paragraph (1), each financial institution with a participation agreement in effect with the participating State shall immediately be considered a participating financial institution. Reimbursements may be made under section 4747 1 of this title in connection with all contributions made to the reserve fund by the State in connection with lending that occurs on or after the date on which the Fund approves the State for participation.
(B) Effective date of participation
If an amended participation agreement that conforms with section 4745 of this title is required in order to secure participation approval by the Fund, contributions subject to reimbursement under section 4747 of this title shall include only those contributions made to a reserve fund with respect to loans enrolled on or after the date that an amended participation agreement between the participating State and the participating financial institution becomes effective.
(C) Use of accumulated reserve funds
A State that is approved for participation in accordance with this subsection may continue to implement the program 2 utilizing the reserve funds accumulated under the State program.
(d) Prior appropriations requirement
The Fund shall not approve a State for participation in the Program until at least $50,000,000 has been appropriated to the Fund (subject to an appropriations Act), without fiscal year limitation, for the purpose of making reimbursements pursuant to section 4747 of this title and otherwise carrying out this subchapter.
(e) Amendments to agreements
If a State that has been approved to be a participating State wishes to amend its form of participation agreement and continue to be a participating State, such State shall submit such amendment for review by the Fund in accordance with subsection (b)(4). Any such amendment shall become effective only after it has been approved by the Fund.
REFERENCES IN TEXT Section 4747 of this title, referred to in subsec. (c)(2)(A), was in the original "section 237" and was translated as reading "section 257" meaning section 257 of Pub. L. 103–325, to reflect the probable intent of Congress. Pub. L. 103–325 does not contain a section 237.
12 U.S.C. § 4743 (2018)