(a) National cybersecurity awareness and education program
The Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (referred to in this section as the "Director"), in consultation with appropriate Federal agencies, industry, educational institutions, National Laboratories, the Networking and Information Technology Research and Development program, and other organizations shall continue to coordinate a national cybersecurity awareness and education program, that includes activities such as—
(1) the widespread dissemination of cybersecurity technical standards and best practices identified by the Director;
(2) efforts to make cybersecurity best practices usable by individuals, small to medium-sized businesses, educational institutions, and State, local, and tribal governments;
(3) increasing public awareness of cybersecurity, cyber safety, and cyber ethics;
(4) increasing the understanding of State, local, and tribal governments, institutions of higher education, and private sector entities of—
(A) the benefits of ensuring effective risk management of information technology versus the costs of failure to do so; and
(B) the methods to mitigate and remediate vulnerabilities;
(5) supporting formal cybersecurity education programs at all education levels to prepare and improve a skilled cybersecurity and computer science workforce for the private sector and Federal, State, local, and tribal government; and
(6) promoting initiatives to evaluate and forecast future cybersecurity workforce needs of the Federal Government and develop strategies for recruitment, training, and retention.
In carrying out the authority described in subsection (a), the Director, in consultation with appropriate Federal agencies, shall leverage existing programs designed to inform the public of safety and security of products or services, including self-certifications and independently verified assessments regarding the quantification and valuation of information security risk.
(c) Strategic plan
The Director, in cooperation with relevant Federal agencies and other stakeholders, shall build upon programs and plans in effect as of December 18, 2014, to develop and implement a strategic plan to guide Federal programs and activities in support of the national cybersecurity awareness and education program under subsection (a).
Not later than 1 year after December 18, 2014, and every 5 years thereafter, the Director shall transmit the strategic plan under subsection (c) to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology of the House of Representatives.
15 U.S.C. § 7451 (2018)