(a) In general
The Under Secretary may establish mechanisms for outreach to the weather enterprise—
(1) to assess the weather forecasts and forecast products provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and
(2) to determine the highest priority weather forecast needs of the community described in subsection (b).
(b) Outreach community
In conducting outreach under subsection (a), the Under Secretary shall contact leading experts and innovators from relevant stakeholders, including the representatives from the following:
(1) State or local emergency management agencies.
(2) State agriculture agencies.
(3) Indian tribes (as defined in section 5304 of title 25) and Native Hawaiians (as defined in section 7517 of title 20).
(4) The private aerospace industry.
(5) The private earth observing industry.
(6) The operational forecasting community.
(7) The academic community.
(8) Professional societies that focus on meteorology.
(9) Such other stakeholder groups as the Under Secretary considers appropriate.
15 U.S.C. § 8548 (2018)