As used in this chapter, the term—
(2) "advanced electric or hybrid vehicle" means a vehicle which—
(A) minimizes the total amount of energy to be consumed with respect to its fabrication, operation, and disposal, and represents a substantial improvement over existing electric and hybrid vehicles with respect to the total amount of energy so consumed;
(B) is capable of being mass-produced and operated at a cost and in a manner which is sufficiently competitive to enable it to be produced and sold in numbers representing a reasonable portion of the market;
(C) is safe, damage-resistant, easy to repair, durable, and operates with sufficient performance with respect to acceleration, cold-weather starting, cruising speed, and other performance factors; and
(D) at a minimum, can be produced, distributed, operated, and disposed of in compliance with any applicable requirement of Federal law;
(3) "commercial electric or hybrid vehicle" includes any electric or hybrid vehicle which can be used (A) for business or agricultural production purposes on farms (e.g. tractors and trucks) or in rural areas, or (B) for commercial purposes in urban areas;
(4) "electric vehicle" means a vehicle which is powered by an electric motor drawing current from rechargeable storage batteries, fuel cells, or other portable sources of electrical current, and which may include a nonelectrical source of power designed to charge batteries and components thereof;
(5) "hybrid vehicle" means a vehicle propelled by a combination of an electric motor and an internal combustion engine or other power source and components thereof;
(6) "project" means the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development, and Demonstration Project established under section 2503(a) of this title;
(8) "small business concern" shall have the meaning prescribed by the Secretary of Energy after consultation with the Small Business Administration.
CODIFICATION Par. (1), which read " ‘Administrator’ means the Administrator of the Energy Research and Development Administration", has been omitted from the Code in view of the termination of the Energy Research and Development Administration and the transfer of the functions of the Administration and the Administrator thereof to the Secretary of Energy pursuant to sections 301(a) and 703 of Pub. L. 95–91 which are classified to sections 7151(a) and 7293 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. "Secretary of Energy" has been substituted for "Administrator" wherever appearing in this chapter. Par. (7), which read " ‘Secretary’ means the Secretary of Transportation", has been omitted from the Code as unnecessary. In view of the substitution of "Secretary of Energy" for "Administrator" in this chapter, and for clarity, "Secretary of Transportation" has been substituted for "Secretary" wherever appearing in this chapter.TRANSFER OF FUNCTIONS In par. (8), "Secretary of Energy" substituted for "Administrator" pursuant to section 301(a) of Pub. L. 95–91, see Codification note set out above.
15 U.S.C. § 2502 (2018)