It is the purpose of this chapter to improve the economic, environmental, and social well-being of the United States by—
(1) establishing organizations in the executive branch to study and stimulate technology;
(2) promoting technology development through the establishment of cooperative research centers;
(3) stimulating improved utilization of federally funded technology developments, including inventions, software, and training technologies, by State and local governments and the private sector;
(4) providing encouragement for the development of technology through the recognition of individuals and companies which have made outstanding contributions in technology; and
(5) encouraging the exchange of scientific and technical personnel among academia, industry, and Federal laboratories.
AMENDMENTS 1986—Par. (2). Pub. L. 99–502, §9(b)(1), substituted "cooperative research centers" for "centers for industrial technology". Par. (3). Pub. L. 99–502, §9(f)(2), inserted ", including inventions, software, and training technologies,".
15 U.S.C. § 3702 (2018)