The Congress finds that—
(1) the United States fastener industry is a significant contributor to the global economy, employing thousands of workers in hundreds of communities;
(2) the American economy uses billions of fasteners each year;
(3) state-of-the-art manufacturing and improved quality assurance systems have dramatically improved fastener quality, so virtually all fasteners sold in commerce meet or exceed the consensus standards for the uses to which they are applied;
(4) a small number of mismarked, misrepresented, and counterfeit fasteners do enter commerce in the United States; and
(5) multiple criteria for the identification of fasteners exist, including grade identification markings and manufacturer’s insignia, to enable purchasers and users of fasteners to accurately evaluate the characteristics of individual fasteners.
AMENDMENTS 1999—Pub. L. 106–34 amended section generally. Prior to amendment, section consisted of subsecs. (a) and (b) stating findings of Congress and purpose of this chapter. 1996—Subsec. (a)(4) to (6). Pub. L. 104–113, §11(a)(1), redesignated pars. (5) to (7) as (4) to (6), respectively, and struck out former par. (4) which read as follows: "the sale in commerce of nonconforming fasteners and the use of nonconforming fasteners in numerous critical applications have reduced the combat readiness of the Nation’s military forces, endangered the safety of other Federal projects and activities, and cost both the public and private sectors large sums in connection with the retesting and purging of fastener inventories;". Subsec. (a)(7). Pub. L. 104–113, §11(a)(2), struck out "by lot number" after "traceability". Pub. L. 104–113, §11(a)(1), redesignated par. (8) as (7). Former par. (7) redesignated (6). Subsec. (a)(8), (9). Pub. L. 104–113, §11(a)(1), redesignated par. (9) as (8). Former par. (8) redesignated (7). Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 104–113, §11(a)(3), substituted "in commerce" for "used in critical applications".SHORT TITLE OF 1999 AMENDMENT Pub. L. 106–34, §1, June 8, 1999, 113 Stat. 118, provided that: "This Act [enacting sections 5403, 5411a, and 5411b of this title, amending this section and sections 5402 and 5407 to 5411 of this title, repealing sections 5404 to 5406, 5412, and 5414 of this title, and enacting provisions set out as notes under sections 5402 and 5403 of this title] may be cited as the ‘Fastener Quality Act Amendments Act of 1999’."SHORT TITLE Pub. L. 101–592, §1, Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 2943, provided that: "This Act [enacting this chapter] may be cited as the ‘Fastener Quality Act’."
15 U.S.C. § 5401 (2018)