(a) Disclosure of information
Information concerning the nature and location of any archaeological resource for which the excavation or removal requires a permit or other permission under this chapter or under any other provision of Federal law may not be made available to the public under subchapter II of chapter 5 of title 5 or under any other provision of law unless the Federal land manager concerned determines that such disclosure would—
(1) further the purposes of this chapter or chapter 3125 of title 54, and
(2) not create a risk of harm to such resources or to the site at which such resources are located.
(b) Request for disclosure by Governors
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), upon the written request of the Governor of any State, which request shall state—
(1) the specific site or area for which information is sought,
(2) the purpose for which such information is sought,
(3) a commitment by the Governor to adequately protect the confidentiality of such information to protect the resource from commercial exploitation,
the Federal land manager concerned shall provide to the Governor information concerning the nature and location of archaeological resources within the State of the requesting Governor.
AMENDMENTS 2014—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 113–287, which directed substitution of "chapter 3125 of title 54" for "the Act of June 27, 1960 (16 U.S.C. 469–469c)" in subsec. (a)(2), was executed by making the substitution in subsec. (a)(1), to reflect the probable intent of Congress.
16 U.S.C. § 470hh (2018)