The Congress finds that the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare, the preservation of national security, and the proper exercise of congressional authority under the Constitution to regulate interstate commerce require—
(1) a program providing for increased conservation of electric energy, increased efficiency in the use of facilities and resources by electric utilities, and equitable retail rates for electric consumers,
(2) a program to improve the wholesale distribution of electric energy, the reliability of electric service, the procedures concerning consideration of wholesale rate applications before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the participation of the public in matters before the Commission, and to provide other measures with respect to the regulation of the wholesale sale of electric energy,
(3) a program to provide for the expeditious development of hydroelectric potential at existing small dams to provide needed hydroelectric power,
(4) a program for the conservation of natural gas while insuring that rates to natural gas consumers are equitable,
(5) a program to encourage the development of crude oil transportation systems, and
(6) the establishment of certain other authorities as provided in title VI of this Act.
REFERENCES IN TEXT This Act, referred to in par. (6), is Pub. L. 95–617, Nov. 9, 1978, 92 Stat. 3117, as amended, known as the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978. Title VI of this Act enacted sections 824a–4 and 2645 of this title, section 918c of Title 7, Agriculture, and sections 717x to 717z of Title 15, Commerce and Trade, amended section 717f of Title 15 and sections 1311, 1312, and 1314 to 1316 of Title 30, Mineral Lands and Mining, and enacted provisions set out as a note under section 2621 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note below and Tables.CODIFICATION This section was not enacted as part of title I of Pub. L. 95–617 which comprises this chapter.SHORT TITLE Pub. L. 95–617, §1, Nov. 9, 1978, 92 Stat. 3117, provided that: "This Act [enacting this chapter, and sections 823a, 824a–1 to 824a–4, 824i to 824k, 825q–1, and 2701 to 2708 of this title, section 918c of Title 7, Agriculture, sections 717x to 717z and 3201 to 3211 of Title 15, Commerce and Trade, section 6808 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare, and sections 2001 to 2012 of Title 43, Public Lands, amending sections 796, 824, 824a, 824d, and 825d of this title, section 717f of Title 15, sections 1311, 1312, and 1314 to 1316 of Title 30, Mineral Lands and Mining, and sections 6801 to 6807 of Title 42, and enacting provisions set out as notes under sections 824, 824a, 824d, 825d, and 2621 of this title] may be cited as the ‘Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978’."
16 U.S.C. § 2601 (2018)