(a) The functions of each Chief Human Capital Officer shall include—
(1) setting the workforce development strategy of the agency;
(2) assessing workforce characteristics and future needs based on the agency’s mission and strategic plan;
(3) aligning the agency’s human resources policies and programs with organization mission, strategic goals, and performance outcomes;
(4) developing and advocating a culture of continuous learning to attract and retain employees with superior abilities;
(5) identifying best practices and benchmarking studies,1 and
(6) applying methods for measuring intellectual capital and identifying links of that capital to organizational performance and growth.
(b) In addition to the authority otherwise provided by this section, each agency Chief Human Capital Officer—
(1) shall have access to all records, reports, audits, reviews, documents, papers, recommendations, or other material that—
(A) are the property of the agency or are available to the agency; and
(B) relate to programs and operations with respect to which that agency Chief Human Capital Officer has responsibilities under this chapter; and
(2) may request such information or assistance as may be necessary for carrying out the duties and responsibilities provided by this chapter from any Federal, State, or local governmental entity.
5 U.S.C. § 1402 (2018)