(a) Program required
The Secretary, acting through the Assistant Secretary for the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office, shall carry out a program to coordinate the Department’s efforts related to defending the food, agriculture, and veterinary systems of the United States against terrorism and other high-consequence events that pose a high risk to homeland security.
(b) Program elements
The coordination program required by subsection (a) shall include, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Providing oversight and management of the Department’s responsibilities pursuant to Homeland Security Presidential Directive 9–Defense of United States Agriculture and Food.
(2) Providing oversight and integration of the Department’s activities related to veterinary public health, food defense, and agricultural security.
(3) Leading the Department’s policy initiatives relating to food, animal, and agricultural incidents, and the impact of such incidents on animal and public health.
(4) Leading the Department’s policy initiatives relating to overall domestic preparedness for and collective response to agricultural terrorism.
(5) Coordinating with other Department components, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection, as appropriate, on activities related to food and agriculture security and screening procedures for domestic and imported products.
(6) Coordinating with appropriate Federal departments and agencies.
(7) Other activities as determined necessary by the Secretary.
(c) Rule of construction
Nothing in this section may be construed as altering or superseding the authority of the Secretary of Agriculture or the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
AMENDMENTS 2018—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 115–387 substituted "the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office," for "Health Affairs,".
6 U.S.C. § 321q (2018)