(a) Eligible entities
Activities eligible to receive assistance through the framework agreements entered into under section 1738f of this title, shall include—
(1) activities of the type described in the Global Environmental Protection Assistance Act of 1989 (22 U.S.C. 2281 et seq.);
(2) agriculture-related activities, including those that provide for the biological prevention and control of animal and plant pests and diseases, to benefit the environment; and
(3) local community initiatives that promote conservation and sustainable use of the environment.
All activities of the type referred to in subsection (a) shall, where appropriate, include initiatives that link conservation of natural resources with local community development.
(c) Setting of priorities
Appropriate activities and priorities relating to the use of an Environmental Fund shall be set by local nongovernmental organizations within the appropriate eligible country.
Grants may be made by the body referred to in section 1738f(c) of this title from the Environmental Fund for environmental purposes to—
(1) host country nongovernmental environmental, conservation, development, educational, and indigenous peoples organizations;
(2) other appropriate local or regional entities; or
(3) in exceptional circumstances, the government of the eligible country.
In providing assistance from an Environmental Fund, the body established under section 1738f(c) of this title within the eligible country shall give priority to projects that are run by nongovernmental organizations and other private entities, and that involve local communities in their planning and execution.
REFERENCES IN TEXT The Global Environmental Protection Assistance Act of 1989, referred to in subsec. (a)(1), is title VII of Pub. L. 101–240, Dec. 19, 1989, 103 Stat. 2521, as amended, which is classified generally to part VII (§2281 et seq.) of subchapter I of chapter 32 and chapter 86 (§7901 et seq.) of Title 22, Foreign Relations and Intercourse. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title of 1989 Amendments note set out under section 2151 of Title 22 and Tables.AMENDMENTS 1991—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 102–237 substituted "2281 et seq.);" for "462), and—".
7 U.S.C. § 1738k (2018)