(a) In general
The Authority may approve grants to States and public and nonprofit entities for projects, approved in accordance with section 2009aa–8 of this title—
(1) to develop the transportation infrastructure of the region for the purpose of facilitating economic development in the region (except that grants for this purpose may only be made to a State or local government);
(2) to assist the region in obtaining the job training, employment-related education, and business development (with an emphasis on entrepreneurship) that are needed to build and maintain strong local economies;
(3) to provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for improving basic public services;
(4) to provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for equipping industrial parks and related facilities; and
(5) to otherwise achieve the purposes of this subchapter.
(b) Funding (1) In general
Funds for grants under subsection (a) may be provided—
(A) entirely from appropriations to carry out this section;
(B) in combination with funds available under another Federal or Federal grant program; or
(C) from any other source.
(2) Priority of funding
To best build the foundations for long-term economic development and to complement other Federal and State resources in the region, Federal funds available under this subchapter shall be focused on the activities in the following order or priority:
(A) Basic public infrastructure in distressed counties and isolated areas of distress.
(B) Transportation infrastructure for the purpose of facilitating economic development in the region.
(C) Business development, with emphasis on entrepreneurship.
(D) Job training or employment-related education, with emphasis on use of existing public educational institutions located in the region.
AMENDMENTS 2002—Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 107–171 struck out heading and text of par. (3). Text read as follows: "Notwithstanding any provision of law limiting the Federal share in any grant program, funds appropriated to carry out this section may be used to increase a Federal share in a grant program, as the Authority determines appropriate."
7 U.S.C. § 2009aa-2 (2018)