In order to carry out the policy of this subchapter, the Secretary shall develop and implement a national food and human nutrition research and extension program that shall include, but not be limited to—
(1) research on human nutritional requirements;
(2) research on the nutrient composition of foods and the effects of agricultural practices, handling, food processing, and cooking on the nutrients they contain;
(3) surveillance of the nutritional benefits provided to participants in the food programs administered by the Department of Agriculture;
(4) research on the factors affecting food preference and habits; and
(5) the development of techniques and equipment to assist consumers in the home or in institutions in selecting food that supplies a nutritionally adequate diet.
EFFECTIVE DATE Section effective Oct. 1, 1977, see section 1901 of Pub. L. 95–113, set out as an Effective Date of 1977 Amendment note under section 1307 of this title.
7 U.S.C. § 3172 (2018)