In this section:
(1) 1862 Institution; 1890 Institution; 1994 Institution
The terms "1862 Institution", "1890 Institution", and "1994 Institution" have the meanings given the terms in section 7601 of this title.
(2) Covered Institution
The term "covered Institution" means—
(A) an 1862 Institution;
(B) an 1890 Institution;
(C) a 1994 Institution;
(D) an NLGCA Institution;
(E) a Hispanic-serving agricultural college or university; and
(F) a cooperating forestry school.
(3) Developing country
The term "developing country" means a country, as determined by the Secretary using a gross national income per capita test selected by the Secretary.
(4) International partner institution
The term "international partner institution" means an agricultural higher education institution in a developing country that is performing, or desiring to perform, activities similar to agricultural research, extension, and teaching activities carried out through covered Institutions in the United States.
(b) Authority of the Secretary
The Secretary may promote cooperation and coordination between covered Institutions and international partner institutions through—
(1) improving extension by—
(A) encouraging the exchange of research materials and results between covered Institutions and international partner institutions;
(B) facilitating the broad dissemination of agricultural research through extension; and
(C) assisting with efforts to plan and initiate extension services in developing countries;
(2) improving agricultural research by—
(A) in partnership with international partner institutions, encouraging research that addresses problems affecting food production and security, human nutrition, agriculture, forestry, livestock, and fisheries, including local challenges; and
(B) supporting and strengthening national agricultural research systems in developing countries;
(3) supporting the participation of covered Institutions in programs of international organizations, such as the United Nations, the World Bank, regional development banks, and international agricultural research centers;
(4) improving agricultural teaching and education by—
(A) in partnership with international partner institutions, supporting education and teaching relating to food and agricultural sciences, including technical assistance, degree training, research collaborations, classroom instruction, workforce training, and education programs; and
(B) assisting with efforts to increase student capacity, including to encourage equitable access for women and other underserved populations, at international partner institutions by promoting partnerships with, and improving the capacity of, covered Institutions;
(5) assisting covered Institutions in strengthening their capacity for food, agricultural, and related research, extension, and teaching programs relevant to agricultural development activities in developing countries to promote the application of new technology to improve education delivery;
(6) providing support for the internationalization of resident instruction programs of covered Institutions;
(7) establishing a program, to be coordinated by the Director of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture and the Administrator of the Foreign Agricultural Service, to place interns from covered Institutions in, or in service to benefit, developing countries; and
(8) establishing a program to provide fellowships to students at covered Institutions to study at foreign agricultural colleges and universities.
(c) Enhancing linkages
The Secretary shall enhance the linkages among covered Institutions, the Federal Government, international research centers, counterpart research, extension, and teaching agencies and institutions in developed countries and developing countries—
(1) to carry out the activities described in subsection (b); and
(2) to make a substantial contribution to the cause of improved food and agricultural progress throughout the world.
(d) Authorization of appropriations
There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section $10,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2019 through 2023.
PRIOR PROVISIONS A prior section 3292, Pub. L. 95–113, title XIV, §1458A, as added Pub. L. 99–198, title XIV, §1419(a), Dec. 23, 1985, 99 Stat. 1550; amended Pub. L. 101–624, title XVI, §1613(c), (d)(2), Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 3726, related to grants to States for international trade development centers, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 104–127, title VIII, §856, Apr. 4, 1996, 110 Stat. 1172.
7 U.S.C. § 3292 (2018)