For purposes of this subchapter—
(1) the term "board" means the board of trustees of the Institute;
(2) the term "Department" means the Department of Agriculture;
(3) the term "dairy products" means manufactured products that are derived from the processing of milk, and includes fluid milk products;
(4) the term "fluid milk products" means those milk products normally consumed in liquid form as a beverage;
(5) the term "Fund" means the Dairy Research Trust Fund established by section 4536 of this title;
(6) the term "Institute" means the National Dairy Research Endowment Institute established by section 4532 of this title;
(7) the term "milk" means any class of cow’s milk marketed in the United States;
(8) the term "person" means any individual, group of individuals, partnership, corporation, association, cooperative, or any other entity;
(9) the term "producer" means any person engaged in the production of milk for commercial use;
(10) the term "research" means studies testing the effectiveness of market development and promotion efforts, studies relating to the nutritional value of milk and dairy products, and other related efforts to expand demand for milk and dairy products;
(11) the term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture unless the context specifies otherwise; and
(12) the term "United States", when used in a geographical sense, means all of the States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
CODIFICATION Pub. L. 110–234 and Pub. L. 110–246 made identical amendments to this section. The amendments by Pub. L. 110–234 were repealed by section 4(a) of Pub. L. 110–246.AMENDMENTS 2008—Par. (12). Pub. L. 110–246, §1507(c), added par. (12) and struck out former par. (12) which read as follows: "the term ‘United States’ means the several States and the territories and possessions of the United States, except that for purposes of sections 4532, 4534(a), and 4537 of this title, and paragraph (7) of this section, such term means the forty-eight contiguous States in the continental United States."EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2008 AMENDMENT Amendment of this section and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234 by Pub. L. 110–246 effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, see section 4 of Pub. L. 110–246, set out as an Effective Date note under section 8701 of this title.
7 U.S.C. § 4531 (2018)