It is the purpose of this subchapter to encourage research designed to increase our knowledge concerning agricultural production systems that—
(1) maintain and enhance the quality and productivity of the soil;
(2) conserve soil, water, energy, natural resources, and fish and wildlife habitat;
(3) maintain and enhance the quality of surface and ground water;
(4) protect the health and safety of persons involved in the food and farm system;
(5) promote the well being of animals; and
(6) increase employment opportunities in agriculture.
For purposes of this subchapter:
(1) The term "sustainable agriculture" shall have the same meaning given to that term by section 3103 of this title.
(2) The term "integrated crop management" means an agricultural management system that integrates all controllable agricultural production factors for long-term sustained productivity, profitability, and ecological soundness.
(3) The term "integrated resource management" means livestock management which utilizes an interdisciplinary systems approach which integrates all controllable agricultural production practices to provide long-term sustained productivity and profitable production of safe and wholesome food in an environmentally sound manner.
(4) The term "agribusiness" includes a producer or organization engaged in an agricultural enterprise with a profit motive.
(5) The term "extension" shall have the same meaning given to that term by section 3103 of this title.
(6) The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture.
(7) The term "State" means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, or federally recognized Indian tribes.
(8) The term "State agricultural experiment stations" shall have the same meaning given to that term by section 3103 of this title.
(9) The term "nonprofit organization" means an organization, group, institute, or institution that—
(A) has a demonstrated capacity to conduct agricultural research or education programs;
(B) has experience in research, demonstration, education, or extension in sustainable agricultural practices and systems; and
(C) qualifies as a nonprofit organization under section 501(c) of title 26.
REFERENCES IN TEXT This subchapter, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (b), was in the original "this subtitle", meaning subtitle B (§§1619–1629) of title XVI of Pub. L. 101–624, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 3733, which enacted this subchapter, repealed sections 4701 to 4710 of this title, and repealed provisions set out as a note under section 4701 of this title. For complete classification of subtitle B to the Code, see Tables.CODIFICATION Pub. L. 110–234 and Pub. L. 110–246 made identical amendments to this section. The amendments by Pub. L. 110–234 were repealed by section 4(a) of Pub. L. 110–246.AMENDMENTS 2008—Subsec. (b)(1). Pub. L. 110–246, §7101(b)(5)(A), substituted "section 3103" for "section 3103(17)". Subsec. (b)(5). Pub. L. 110–246, §7101(b)(5)(B), substituted "section 3103" for "section 3103(7)". Subsec. (b)(8). Pub. L. 110–246, §7101(b)(5)(C), substituted "section 3103" for "section 3103(13)". 1996—Subsec. (b)(7) to (10). Pub. L. 104–127 redesignated pars. (8) to (10) as (7) to (9), respectively, and struck out former par. (7) which read as follows: "The term ‘Advisory Council’ means the National Sustainable Agriculture Advisory Council established under section 5812(c) of this title." 1991—Subsec. (b)(8). Pub. L. 102–237 substituted "Mariana Islands" for "Marianas Islands".EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2008 AMENDMENT Amendment of this section and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234 by Pub. L. 110–246 effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, see section 4 of Pub. L. 110–246, set out as an Effective Date note under section 8701 of this title.SHORT TITLE OF 1976 AMENDMENT Pub. L. 94–214, §1, Feb. 16, 1976, 90 Stat. 181, provided that: "This Act [see Tables for classification] may be cited as the ‘Rice Production Act of 1975’."TERMINATION OF TRUST TERRITORY OF THE PACIFIC ISLANDS For termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, see note set out preceding section 1681 of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions.
7 U.S.C. § 5801 (2018)