(a) Competitive research and extension grants authorized
In consultation with the Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production Advisory Committee established under section 6923(b) of this title, the Secretary may make competitive grants to support research, education, and extension activities for the purposes of facilitating the development of urban, indoor, and other emerging agricultural production, harvesting, transportation, aggregation, packaging, distribution, and markets, including by—
(1) assessing and developing strategies to remediate contaminated sites;
(2) determining and developing the best production management and integrated pest management practices;
(3) identifying and promoting the horticultural, social, and economic factors that contribute to successful urban, indoor, and other emerging agricultural production;
(4) analyzing the means by which new agricultural sites are determined, including an evaluation of soil quality, condition of a building, or local community needs;
(5) exploring new technologies that minimize energy, lighting systems, water, and other inputs for increased food production;
(6) examining building material efficiencies and structural upgrades for the purpose of optimizing growth of agricultural products;
(7) developing new crop varieties and agricultural products to connect to new markets; or
(8) examining the impacts of crop exposure to urban elements on environmental quality and food safety.
(b) Grant types and process
Subparagraphs (A) through (E) of paragraph (4), paragraph (7), and paragraph (11)(B) of subsection (b) of section 3157 of this title shall apply with respect to the making of grants under this section.
The Secretary may give priority to grant proposals that involve—
(1) the cooperation of multiple entities; or
(2) States or regions with a high concentration of or significant interest in urban farms, rooftop farms, and indoor production facilities.
(d) Funding (1) Mandatory funding
Of the funds of the Commodity Credit Corporation, the Secretary shall use to carry out this section $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2019, to remain available until expended.
(2) Authorization of appropriations
In addition to amounts made available under paragraph (1), there is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section $10,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2019 through 2023.
7 U.S.C. § 5925g (2018)