The purpose of this chapter is to—
(1) strengthen the competitive position of the United States commercial fishing industry in the domestic and international marketplace;
(2) encourage the development and utilization of all species of fish available for harvest by the United States fishing industry;
(3) encourage the utilization of domestically-produced fish through enhancement of markets, promotion, and public relations;
(4) help the United States fishing industry develop methods to improve quality and efficiency in the marketplace;
(5) educate and inform consumers on the use of fish;
(6) develop better coordination of fisheries marketing and promotion activities with commercial fisheries research and development programs; and
(7) educate and inform the public about the nutritional value of fish in the diet.
REFERENCES IN TEXT This chapter, referred to in text, was in the original "this title", meaning title II of Pub. L. 99–659, Nov. 14, 1986, 100 Stat. 3715, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of title II to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 4001 of this title and Tables.
16 U.S.C. § 4002 (2018)