(a) Clarification of responsibilities
The Director of the Office for Interoperability and Compatibility shall—
(1) assist the Secretary in developing and implementing the science and technology aspects of the program described in subparagraphs (D), (E), (F), and (G) of section 194(a)(1) of this title;
(2) in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, and other Federal departments and agencies with responsibility for standards, support the creation of national voluntary consensus standards for interoperable emergency communications;
(3) establish a comprehensive research, development, testing, and evaluation program for improving interoperable emergency communications;
(4) establish, in coordination with the Director for Emergency Communications,1 requirements for interoperable emergency communications capabilities, which shall be nonproprietary where standards for such capabilities exist, for all public safety radio and data communications systems and equipment purchased using homeland security assistance administered by the Department, excluding any alert and warning device, technology, or system;
(5) carry out the Department’s responsibilities and authorities relating to research, development, testing, evaluation, or standards-related elements of the SAFECOM Program;
(6) evaluate and assess new technology in real-world environments to achieve interoperable emergency communications capabilities;
(7) encourage more efficient use of existing resources, including equipment, to achieve interoperable emergency communications capabilities;
(8) test public safety communications systems that are less prone to failure, support new nonvoice services, use spectrum more efficiently, and cost less than existing systems;
(9) coordinate with the private sector to develop solutions to improve emergency communications capabilities and achieve interoperable emergency communications capabilities; and
(10) conduct pilot projects, in coordination with the Director for Emergency Communications,1 to test and demonstrate technologies, including data and video, that enhance—
(A) the ability of emergency response providers and relevant government officials to continue to communicate in the event of natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters; and
(B) interoperable emergency communications capabilities.
The Director of the Office for Interoperability and Compatibility shall coordinate with the Director for Emergency Communications 1 with respect to the SAFECOM program.
(c) Sufficiency of resources
The Secretary shall provide the Office for Interoperability and Compatibility the resources and staff necessary to carry out the responsibilities under this section.
CHANGE OF NAME Reference to Director for Emergency Communications deemed to be a reference to Assistant Director for Emergency Communications, see section 2(c)(2) of Pub. L. 115–278, set out as a note under section 571 of this title.
6 U.S.C. § 195 (2018)