(a) In general
In furtherance of domestic preparedness and response, the Secretary, acting through the Under Secretary for Science and Technology, and in consultation with other relevant executive agencies, relevant State, local, and tribal governments, and relevant owners and operators of critical infrastructure, shall, to the extent practicable, conduct research and development to mitigate the consequences of threats of EMP and GMD.
The scope of the research and development under subsection (a) shall include the following:
(1) An objective scientific analysis—
(A) evaluating the risks to critical infrastructure from a range of threats of EMP and GMD; and
(B) which shall—
(i) be conducted in conjunction with the Office of Intelligence and Analysis; and
(ii) include a review and comparison of the range of threats and hazards facing critical infrastructure of the electrical grid.
(2) Determination of the critical utilities and national security assets and infrastructure that are at risk from threats of EMP and GMD.
(3) An evaluation of emergency planning and response technologies that would address the findings and recommendations of experts, including those of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse Attack, which shall include a review of the feasibility of rapidly isolating one or more portions of the electrical grid from the main electrical grid.
(4) An analysis of technology options that are available to improve the resiliency of critical infrastructure to threats of EMP and GMD, including an analysis of neutral current blocking devices that may protect high-voltage transmission lines.
(5) The restoration and recovery capabilities of critical infrastructure under differing levels of damage and disruption from various threats of EMP and GMD, as informed by the objective scientific analysis conducted under paragraph (1).
(6) An analysis of the feasibility of a real-time alert system to inform electrical grid operators and other stakeholders within milliseconds of a high-altitude nuclear explosion.
(c) Exemption from disclosure (1) Information shared with the Federal Government
Section 673 of this title, and any regulations issued pursuant to such section, shall apply to any information shared with the Federal Government under this section.
(2) Information shared by the Federal Government
Information shared by the Federal Government with a State, local, or tribal government under this section shall be exempt from disclosure under any provision of State, local, or tribal freedom of information law, open government law, open meetings law, open records law, sunshine law, or similar law requiring the disclosure of information or records.
AMENDMENTS 2018—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 115–278, §2(g)(3)(C), substituted "Section 673 of this title" for "Section 133 of this title".
6 U.S.C. § 195f (2018)