(a) In general
The Authority may approve grants to States, Indian tribes, local governments, and public and nonprofit organizations for projects, approved in accordance with section 2009bb–8 of this title—
(1) to assist the region in obtaining the job training, employment-related education, and business development (with an emphasis on entrepreneurship) that are needed to build and maintain strong local economies;
(2) to develop the transportation, renewable energy transmission, and telecommunication infrastructure of the region for the purpose of facilitating economic development in the region (except that grants for this purpose may be made only to States, Indian tribes, local governments, and nonprofit organizations);
(3) to provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for improving basic public services;
(4) to provide assistance to severely distressed and underdeveloped areas that lack financial resources for equipping industrial parks and related facilities; and
(5) to otherwise achieve the purposes of this subchapter.
(b) Funding (1) In general
Funds for grants under subsection (a) may be provided—
(A) entirely from appropriations to carry out this section;
(B) in combination with funds available under another Federal grant program; or
(C) from any other source.
(2) Priority of funding
To best build the foundations for long-term economic development and to complement other Federal, State, and tribal resources in the region, Federal funds available under this subchapter shall be focused on the following activities:
(A) Basic public infrastructure in distressed counties and isolated areas of distress.
(B) Transportation and telecommunication infrastructure for the purpose of facilitating economic development in the region.
(C) Business development, with emphasis on entrepreneurship.
(D) Job training or employment-related education, with emphasis on use of existing public educational institutions located in the region.
CODIFICATION Pub. L. 110–234 and Pub. L. 110–246 made identical amendments to this section. The amendments by Pub. L. 110–234 were repealed by section 4(a) of Pub. L. 110–246.PRIOR PROVISIONS A prior section 383D of Pub. L. 87–128, title III, was renumbered section 383E and is classified to section 2009bb–3 of this title.AMENDMENTS 2008—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 110–246, §6026(c)(2)(B), made technical amendment to reference in original act which appears in introductory provisions as reference to section 2009bb–8 of this title. Subsec. (a)(1), (2). Pub. L. 110–246, §6026(d)(1), redesignated pars. (2) and (1) as (1) and (2), respectively, and, in par. (2), substituted "transportation, renewable energy transmission, and telecommunication" for "transportation and telecommunication". Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 110–246, §6026(d)(2), substituted "the following activities" for "the activities in the following order or priority" in introductory provisions.EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2008 AMENDMENT Amendment of this section and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234 by Pub. L. 110–246 effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, see section 4 of Pub. L. 110–246, set out as an Effective Date note under section 8701 of this title.
7 U.S.C. § 2009bb-2 (2018)