The purposes of this chapter are to—
(1) establish firmly the Department of Agriculture as the lead agency in the Federal Government for the food and agricultural sciences, and to emphasize that agricultural research, extension, and teaching are distinct missions of the Department of Agriculture;
(2) undertake the special measures set forth in this chapter to improve the coordination and planning of agricultural research, extension, and teaching programs, identify needs and establish priorities for these programs, assure that national agricultural research, extension, and teaching objectives are fully achieved, and assure that the results of agricultural research are effectively communicated and demonstrated to farmers, processors, handlers, consumers, and all other users who can benefit therefrom;
(3) increase cooperation and coordination in the performance of agricultural research by Federal departments and agencies, the States, State agricultural experiment stations, colleges and universities, and user groups;
(4) enable the Federal Government, the States, colleges and universities, and others to implement needed agricultural research, extension, and teaching programs, through the establishment of new programs and the improvement of existing programs, as provided for in this chapter;
(5) establish a new program of grants for high-priority agricultural research to be awarded on the basis of competition among research workers and all colleges and universities;
(6) establish a new program of grants for facilities and instrumentation used in agricultural research; and
(7) establish a new program of education grants and fellowships to strengthen research, extension, and teaching programs in the food and agricultural sciences, to be awarded on the basis of competition.
REFERENCES IN TEXT This chapter, referred to in text, was in the original this "title", meaning title XIV of Pub. L. 95–113, Sept. 29, 1977, 91 Stat. 981, as amended, which enacted this chapter and sections 2669 and 2670 of this title, amended sections 341, 342, 343, 361c, 390 to 390j, 1923, 1942, 2662, 2663, 2667, 3104, and 3157 of this title and section 6651 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare, and repealed section 390k of this title. For complete classification of such title to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 3101 of this title and Tables.AMENDMENTS 1990—Pub. L. 101–624 amended section catchline generally. 1981—Par. (2). Pub. L. 97–98, §1403(1), inserted "extension, and teaching programs," and substituted "these programs" for "such research, assure that high priority research is given adequate funding". Par. (4). Pub. L. 97–98, §1403(2), substituted "programs through" for "programs, including the initiatives specified in section 3101(8) of this title, through". Par. (5). Pub. L. 97–98, §1403(3), substituted "among research workers" for "among scientific research workers". Par. (7). Pub. L. 97–98, §1403(4), substituted "research, extension, and teaching" for "training and research".EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1981 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 97–98 effective Dec. 22, 1981, see section 1801 of Pub. L. 97–98, set out as an Effective Date note under section 4301 of this title.EFFECTIVE DATE Section effective Oct. 1, 1977, see section 1901 of Pub. L. 95–113, set out as an Effective Date of 1977 Amendment note under section 1307 of this title.
7 U.S.C. § 3102 (2018)