The national objectives of the program established under this subchapter shall be to—
(1) promote strategic development activities and collaborative efforts by State and local communities, and federally recognized Indian tribes, to maximize the impact of Federal assistance;
(2) optimize the use of resources;
(3) provide assistance in a manner that reflects the complexity of rural needs, including the needs for business development, health care, education, infrastructure, cultural resources, the environment, and housing;
(4) advance activities that empower, and build the capacity of, State and local communities to design unique responses to the special needs of the State and local communities, and federally recognized Indian tribes, for rural development assistance; and
(5) adopt flexible and innovative approaches to solving rural development problems.
7 U.S.C. § 2009b (2018)